The History of Bacon and Cabbage
Bacon and cabbage is a dish associated with
The dish consists of unsliced bacon boiled with cabbage and potatoes.
Sometimes people add other vegetables such as carrots, turnips and onions.
Smokey bacon is also used. Historically this dish is common in Irish homes as the ingredients were readily available. Many families grew their own vegetables and reared their own pigs. It was considered nourishing and satisfying.
The dish continues to still be a common dish in
. Usually back bacon is used for the recipe. When the pig was killed people used the blood to make pudding. Ireland
They used the pudding when they’re having their full “Irish Breakfast”!!
How to Make Boiled Bacon and Cabbage
Task: How to make boiled bacon and cabbage.
Ingredients: 2Lb boil9ing bacon.
Medium sized cabbage.
Method: 1. Place the joint in the pot, cover with cold water and bring it to he boil.
2. Remove any scum that floats at the top of the surface.
3. Cover and simmer for 1 hour (1/2 hour per pound) .
4. Cut the cabbage into quarters and add to the pot. Cook it gently for about a half an hour or until the cabbage is cooked to your liking.
5. Drain and serve with potatoes boiled in their jackets and a sharp sauce like mustard or steak sauce.
How to make Brown Bread
½ cup of bran
1/2 cup bran
1 tsp of bread soda
Pinch of salt
8. Bake for 45 minutes at 200c
1. Lightly grease the loaf tin with melted margarine and dust out with whole wheat flour
2. Sieve the plain flour, bread soda and salt into a large mixing bowl mix in the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. Make a hole in the middle
4. Pour in butter milk and mix
5. Add egg and mix again.
6. Turn the dough out on to a table or board dusted with flour